Saturday, February 6, 2010

How much do I really need an Idle Control Valve for my car?

I have 169,000 miles on my Mitsu Galant and the engine light just came on for the first time. The next day the rpms started runnin from 1500 to 2500 when I had it in N or P. My mechanic said the ';Idle Control Valve'; is what I need and it may run anywhere from $250 to $300 ducats. So what's the worse that may happen if I just keep on driving without replacing this part? Those of you with a vehicle more than 5 years old or if you had to deal with the same thing - please respond.How much do I really need an Idle Control Valve for my car?
If yo can't control the idle, you run the risk of a run-away car, or if it is a manual, run the risk of it ultimately running so fast at a stop that it could cause damage to the engine. If you are trying to slow down, but the idle control tells the car to go, you have a conflict, and you may find yourself standing on the brake pedal with an emergency on your hands.


This won't be good or fun. Could cause some damage to your car and driving record.


Get 'er fixed. Soon. Perhaps all it needs is cleaning, or cleaning a connection. Maybe all it needs is to be de-coked.





Happy MotoringHow much do I really need an Idle Control Valve for my car?
Get one from the junk yard and install it your self.


All cars run on used parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment