Monday, February 8, 2010

Do I have an idle control valve problem? I'm having problems with rough idle and stalling coming from a stop.

I have a 1990 Chevy Cav. Runs fine but I do have problems with a cold engine (driving for the first 5-10 mins) when I come to a complete stop. When I try to accelerate or make a turn, the engine stalls and misses for a few seconds. Again this only happens in the morning or when the engine is cold then goes away. I suspect the ICV based on what I've read. Maybe needs to be cleaned or replaced?Do I have an idle control valve problem? I'm having problems with rough idle and stalling coming from a stop.
As a GM tech, I suggest that you check your fuel pressure first. Low fuel presssure during a cold start can cause all kinds of driveability problems that look like other components are failing. It's easy to check and it's vital info when diagnosing these kind of problems.Do I have an idle control valve problem? I'm having problems with rough idle and stalling coming from a stop.
I've been letting the car warm up for about 10 mins in the morning, and the problem has gone away. I still plan to have the fuel pressure checked.

Report Abuse



when i had a 95 jeep cherokee i had trouble with it stalling when i slowed to make a turn and at stop lights .... it did it when it was warm too tho..... a mechanic unplugged the egr valve and it never did it again
First check the code if the check engine light is on. If no light then I would look at the cold start sensor.
you may have a heat up flap in your exhaust manifold that may stick shut or does not open all the way until the motor gets as warm as it is going to get to run normal.
replace the coolant sensor
Coolant temperature sensor is likely bad.
sounds like a low fuel pressure problem
IT SOUNDS LIKE IT TO ME BUT.............





YOU SHOULD GET THE VEHICLES COMPUTER SCANNED AND CHECK FOR ANY PROBLEMS AS WELL AS CODES AND THEN YOU WILL HAVE A GOOD IDEA ON WHAT THE PROBLEM TRULY IS.





TRY FINDING AN INDEPENDENT SHOP INSTEAD OF THE DEALER OR A CHAIN STORE BECAUSE YOU WILL BE OVERALL MORE PLEASED WITH THE FINDINGS AND THE SERVICE.





LEAVE IT THERE WITH THEM SO THAT THEY CAN FIND THE PROBLEM FOR YOU, IT WILL BE A LOT BETTER THAN JUST REPLACING PART AFTER PART AND NOT DOING ANY GOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment