Friday, February 12, 2010

Can I use thermostat wire 18/5 for low voltage irrigation/sprinkler valve control??

Is there something cheaper to use than the rain bird wire that is 25$ for 100 feet??Can I use thermostat wire 18/5 for low voltage irrigation/sprinkler valve control??
that depends on whether you will be burying it..thermostat wire is not labeled as such ,and Will cause you trouble in the future.trust me you can pay less twice ,or pay right once .go with direct burial. 18 guage.multi strand. you will pay ten times as much when you hire an irrigation tech down the road to fix itCan I use thermostat wire 18/5 for low voltage irrigation/sprinkler valve control??
Yes, but depends on how far away the valves are from the controller.





You have voltage drop over distance and the larger wire carries the current with more ease. The solenoid will work but will fail quicker.





I repair alot of sprinklers where telephone and thermostat wire has been used. The thermostat wire doesn't seem to hold up as well, that is the insulation.





I always use multicondutor sprinkler wire or larger single wire for long distances but that is because I have to keep my reputation at a high level. I install and do maintenance on sprinkler systems for a living.
Yes, I use a 24 guage telephone wire for mine, it is the direct bury kind. With 5 conductor you can run 4 valves.

No comments:

Post a Comment